Human Development Indices and Indicators: 2018 Statistical Update
2018 Statistical Update
This update includes a full statistical annex of human development indicators across dimensions.
- The Human Development Index (HDI), calculated for 189 countries, which measures progress in key dimensions of human development – health, education and living standards.
- The table Trends in the Human Development Index, highlights changes in HDI over a period ranging from 1990 to 2017, allowing for the analysis of long-term trends.
- The Inequality Adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI) covers 151 countries and measures the loss in human development due to unequal distribution of HDI gains.
- The Gender Development Index (GDI) measures gender gaps in human development achievements for 164 countries.
- The Gender Inequality Index (GII), calculated for 160 countries, is a composite measure of inequality in empowerment between men and women that considers the following dimensions: reproductive health, political and social empowerment and the labour market.
- Five statistical dashboards are also part of the 2018 Statistical update: 1) the Quality of human development dashboard 2) Life-course gender gap 3) Women’s empowerment; 4) Environmental sustainability and 5) Socioeconomic sustainability.